Sukiyaki

Sunday, September 20, 2009

This Friday I was introduced to a Japanese way of eating that I had never heard of before - Sukiyaki. My father-in-law served an LDS mission in Japan, and after we treated them to fondue last week, they thought it would be appropriate that they return the favor and make us Sukiyaki.

Basically what it was was a variety of foods - crab, water chestnuts, tofu, green onion, steak, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, peas, bean sprouts, and some lettuce-y looking stuff - which you throw in a wok that has some sort of sweet and sour beef broth in it. They you cover it, let it cook, and then put your choice of toppings over a bowl of rice.

My father-in-law tells me that in traditional Japanese eating, to finish off the rice you add a raw egg to the rice and it slides down real nice.

1 comments:

Brooke said...

Wow ... this looks intense and yummy. Was the tofu good when cooked that way? And I found a new pumpkin recipe in honor of fall! It looks good ... I will make it sometime and invite you over ... Pumpkin spice cake trifle. Lowe you!